Friday, October 16, 2009

Marooned...

Hello!
As promised, I'm back again with a look at some high-polygon stuff that I've been cooking up.

This time it's again more character stuff, and I'm really excited to show you my progress. I've been working with a great group of guys that have been working on a project that we will eventually enter into Microsoft's annual "Dream Build Play" contest for their XNA platform. Together, we're called Marooned Games. And our first title is pretty darn ambitious. But hey, go big or go home, right?


click the image above for a closer look


The premise of the game follows a similar style to Metroid, but with a much scarier style. The game opens with the player crash-landing on a barren planet, upon which they discover an abandoned military research facility that is overrun with escaped experiments. We're planning on making the game pretty intense as far as atmosphere goes. Expect lots of gross creatures and jump scares.

click the image above for a closer look

As one of two artists on the project, I've had to do a lot of concept work in addition to all my usual 3D duties. And while I have no chance of becoming the next Ralph McQuarrie or Craig Mullins, I've had a lot of fun spending hours thinking up the look and feel of an entire universe. Suffice to say, it's addictive!

click the image above for a closer look


Most of my concept time has been devoted to the player character himself . The team decided that there would be three upgrades to the characters suit. The first being the astronaut/flight suit that the player crash-lands in. The player acquires the second suit while exploring the military facility, and thus is geared towards combat. The third is an experimental suit that greatly enhances the player's abilities, and in my opinion, makes him look really cool.

click the image above for a closer look

After finalizing the first suit concept, I created a turnaround sketch and began modeling. After getting the base mesh to a workable state, I tweaked the proportions a little to make it a little more realistic (the concept reads a little too "stubby" in 3D I think). After that, it was into Mudbox!


click the images above for a closer look

I really like sculpting. It's so liberating to be able to just attack a mesh without having to worry about where vertices and edges are. I think the results speak for themselves. The sculpt isn't quite done yet (still need details on forearms, hands and torso), but I am extremely happy with what I've got so far, and can't wait to finish it.

Until next time!

No comments: